WELCOME TO OUR CLASS!!!
(Remind Messages found at bottom of the page!)
I will be your 8th grade Mathematics teacher this year. I am very excited for the opportunity
to get to know you and want you to know you can contact me any time for questions, comments,
or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org .
This course is designed to prepare students for rigorous college prepatory high school mathematics courses.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Represent a linear function with a graph, table, rule, and context and create any representation when provided one of the others.
- Solve systems of equations by using tables and graphs.
- Symbolically manipulate expressions to solve problems including those with fractional coefficients.
- Solve contextual word problems using multiple strategies, including making tables, looking for patterns, drawing diagrams, and creating a table of guesses to assist with writing and solving a variable equation.
- Describe various geometric transformations on a coordinate grid.
- Represent data using scatterplots and describe associations.
- Collect and analyze data and make predictions based on the trend of the data.
- Compare ratios and calculate unit rates and slope ratios.
- Analyze the slope of a line graphically, numerically, and contextually.
- Recognize and solve problems involving proportional relationships.
- Graph and analyze non-linear functions.
- Recognize and use the properties of similar figures to solve problems.
- Use the Pythagorean Theorem and its converse to solve problems in two and three dimensions.
- Use square roots and cube roots.
- Represent and simplify expressions using positive and negative exponents.
- Represent and compare large and small numbers using standard and scientific notation.
- Perform operations with numbers represented in scientific notation.
- Use the relationships between angles created by parallel lines with transversals and the Triangle Angle Sum Theorem to solve problems.
- Compute the volume of a variety of solids.
Let's have a great year!!!